We Will Read Again in 2023
Thank you for considering us for your work! We are currently working through the submissions we received through October 15, and we plan to reopen to submissions in mid-January.
Our critique service remains available. More information below.
Our guidelines and other exciting stuff are below. To get a sense of what we are looking for, our Excerpts blog has samples of accepted work and you can hear contributors reading their work on our Soundcloud channel. Single copies of our magazine and subscriptions also are available on our website.
Here are our guidelines:
One submission per writer per reading period.
Payment: $55 for flash prose and short poems; $135 for longer prose and poems. For us "flash" is up to 1500 words, longer prose is 1,500 to 6,000 words. For poetry, "long" is seven manuscript pages or more. We pay on publication.
Complimentary Submissions: We offer free submissions to authors and poets from historically marginalized groups. There's a limited number of these submissions available each reading period so plan to submit early (see the category list below)
Submission fees: With each submission we provide a download of our latest issue. Standard submission fees for poetry and flash prose are $4; for longer prose the fee is $5.
Our Transparency in Publishing page shows how submission and subscription fees help us pay our contributors and support team.
Submission expectations: Our standard response time is up to twelve weeks from submission. Previous contributors to Tahoma Literary Review should wait one full reading period before submitting again.
- Word or PDF files only. If we accept a file in PDF, we will subsequently need a Word (or compatible) version.
- Prose submissions should be in standard manuscript format (Double-spaced, Times New Roman font, 12-point type, one-inch margins, author name and contact information on the first page).
- Poetry submissions may include up to six poems in one manuscript.
- All submissions should be made via Submittable. If this limitation presents an accessibility issue, please contact the editors for alternatives.
- We do not accept previously published material. This includes publication in any public venue, including print, web, and personal blogs.
- We are not currently reading plays, screenplays, translations, reviews, works that include images, novel excerpts, or children’s/young adult literature.
Expedited Response: For an extra $3, we will respond within two weeks of submission (our standard response is twelve weeks). Expedited submissions do not guarantee acceptance.
Critiques and Feedback: We can provide detailed editorial feedback specific to your work. An experienced reader from our staff will read your work in depth and comment on it. See the submission categories for critiques and for feedback for details and pricing. Critiques are available year-round.
Rights: We ask for first North American serial rights. We may reprint accepted work on our website in the Excerpts page. Otherwise, all rights revert to the author upon publication.
Please do not resubmit revised work unless we have requested it specifically.
Simultaneous submissions Please inform us if a work is accepted elsewhere. You can use Submittable’s Withdraw feature to withdraw a submission fully. For flash prose or poetry use Submittable's Message feature to withdraw one of the selections and leave any others for our consideration.
The Full Critique, but without submitting
Sign up for a full critique of your work from a qualified reader. We vet our readers carefully, and have chosen those who are gifted at and enthusiastic about the critique process.
With a full critique you will receive an editorial letter that details your story or essay's strengths and potential next steps. This category is for a detailed analysis of your work. If you would like to submit your work for publication, please use the Fiction or Flash categories above.
If your story is:
- 1-1,499 words (i.e., flash fiction), the price for a full critique is $46.
- 1,500 to 4,999 words, the price for a full critique is $55.
- 5,000 to 6,000 words, the price for a full critique is $65.
- 6,000+ words: We can consider longer pieces depending on workload. Please contact us for specific pricing and authorization before selecting.
Response time will be between four and eight weeks, depending on workload.
Here’s what submitters who chose the full critique had to say:
- “Your comments inspired me to roll my sleeves back up and get to work. I didn’t realize this until now, but on some level I’ve been worrying about the very thing you pointed out.”
- “Thank you for this incredibly helpful review of my work. You have helped me see how to pare down the content and pursue the central theme.”
- “Thank you so much for your comprehensive and thoughtful critique of my story. You've given me much to think about. I appreciate your directness and candor and am eager to take on the challenges you've laid out.”
To receive a full critique, please select the appropriate category from the dropdown menu.