Tahoma Literary Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
May 1, 2018 - July 31: Submissions are open. Tahoma Literary Review is now reading for its Fall/Winter issue. Please see our guidelines and submitting options below.
Our response time is between one and three months. Previous contributors to the Tahoma Literary Review should wait one full reading period after publication of their work before submitting to us again. Please submit only once per reading period.
We ask for first North American serial rights; all rights revert to the author upon publication. We may ask to reprint work on our website, and authors may post audio files of their accepted work.
We pay $50 for flash prose and short poems; $125 for longer prose and poems.
We include an electronic version of our latest issue with the submission fee. When your submission is complete you can visit the TLR Shop to download a digital copy of the issue.
General Guidelines (see individual categories for more information):
- The submission fee for poetry and flash is $4. The fee for longer fiction and nonfiction is $5. If these submission fees present a hardship, please contact us and we will try to help.
- All submissions should be made via Submittable. If this limitation presents an accessibility issue, please contact the editors to arrange for an alternative submission method.
- Prose submissions should be double-spaced, use Times or Times New Roman font, 12-point type with one inch margins.
- Word and PDF files only, please. Please put your name and contact information on the first page of your submission, and your last name and page number on subsequent pages.
- Cover letters are welcome, and we enjoy reading them. (In nonfiction, they are read after the submission.) But don’t tell us what your submission is about, tell us what you’re about.
- For fiction submissions, please submit one short story or novel excerpt between 1,500 and 10,000 words. Novel excerpts may be under contract with a publisher or agent for future publication. In such cases, we will need written permission from the contractor before publication in TLR.
- For nonfiction submissions, please submit one nonfiction piece of between 1,500 and 6,000 words.
- For poetry submissions, please submit 3 to 6 poems in a single document. There are no length restrictions for individual poems. Please include your name after the title of each poem in the manuscript.
- For flash (fiction or nonfiction) submissions, please submit 1 to 2 pieces in a single document. The word limit is 1,500 total.
- Feedback options are available for prose submissions; a submission that includes the feedback option is $7 for fiction and nonfiction, and $6 for flash.
- A full critique is available for fiction submissions. Cost is $45-$75, depending on length.
- We do not accept previously published material. This includes publication in any public venue, including print, web, and personal blogs.
- Please wait to hear back from us before submitting again.
- At this time, we do not publish plays, screenplays, translations, or reviews.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions: please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. If your work is taken by another journal while it is still under consideration at TLR, use our contact form or Submittable's Withdraw notice to let us know and we will allow you a free submission.
- In every category, consider the reader.