What we’re looking for in Fiction
Feedback For an extra $2, a TLR editor will provide direct feedback on your manuscript. "Feedback," for the purposes of TLR submissions, comprises concise notes on what's working and what isn't working for your story or essay. At times, the feedback may be two lines; it may be a paragraph or two. But it will always be actionable.
- We like stories that offer imaginative premises, unusual or marginalized characters, and high stakes.
- Show us characters driven by lifetimes of experience and complex motivations.
- Experimental writing is also welcome.
- We are not reading children’s or YA literature at this time.
- Word limit for fiction is 1,500 to 10,000 words.
See our Fiction with Feedback category for details.
Full Critiques (Fiction only)
In fiction we also offer a full critique of your manuscript from a highly qualified reader. You will receive an editorial letter that details your submission’s strengths and weaknesses and potential editorial next steps.
We vet our readers carefully, and have chosen those who are gifted at and enthusiastic about the critique process. They are paid a significant portion of the full-critique fee. Comparable critiques from independent editors can cost over $100.
See our Full Critiques for Fiction category for details.