What we’re looking for in Fiction
- We like stories that offer imaginative premises, unusual or marginalized characters, and high stakes.
- Show us characters driven by lifetimes of experience and complex motivations.
- Experimental writing is also welcome.
- We are not reading children’s or YA literature.
- Word limit for fiction is 1,500 to 6,000 words.
In fiction we offer a full critique of your manuscript from a highly qualified reader. You will receive an editorial letter that details your submission’s strengths and weaknesses and potential editorial next steps.
We vet our readers carefully, and have chosen those who are gifted at and enthusiastic about the critique process. They are paid a significant portion of the full-critique fee. Comparable critiques from independent editors can cost over $100.
See our Full Critiques for Fiction category for details.