The Full Critique
In fiction, we offer a full critique of your submission from a highly qualified reader. We vet these readers carefully, and have chosen those who are gifted at and enthusiastic about the critique process. They are paid a significant portion of the full-critique fee.
With a full critique you will receive an editorial letter that details your submission’s strengths and weaknesses and potential next steps.
If your story is:
- 1-1,499 words (i.e., flash fiction), the price for a full critique is $50.
- 1,500 to 4,999 words, the price for a full critique is $60.
- 5,000 to 7,499 words, the price for a full critique is $70.
- 7,500-10,000 words, the price for a full critique is $85.
Here’s what recent submitters who chose the full critique had to say:
- “Your comments inspired me to roll my sleeves back up and get to work. I didn’t realize this until now, but on some level I’ve been worrying about the very thing you pointed out.” – David Cameron
- “Thank you for this incredibly helpful review of my work. You have helped me see how to pare down the content and pursue the central theme.” – Leia Menlove
- “Thank you so much for your comprehensive and thoughtful critique of my story. You've given me much to think about. I appreciate your directness and candor and am eager to take on the challenges you've laid out.” – Barbara Shomaker
Our reader/reviewers are selected from a pool of writers who have demonstrated a keen desire to serve in this capacity. We firmly believe that strong critiquing skills contribute to strong writing skills, and we provide our reviewers with the tools and guidance we have gleaned over a combined 50 years of experience between TLR’s prose editors, Yi Shun Lai and Ann Beman.
Comparable critiques from independent editors can cost over $100. For all critique levels, should your story be accepted, you will be refunded up to the "submission with feedback" fee.
No repeat submissions, please.
As part of our commitment to a healthy literary community, we are strong believers in helping you improve your work, but we ask you to remember that editing is a highly subjective process.
To receive a full critique, please select the appropriate category from the dropdown menu.